Pageviews past week

Monday, October 22, 2012

The Story - Chapter 10 - 1 Samuel 1-2

1 Samuel 2:1-3 (NIV) “Then Hannah prayed and said: 
"My heart rejoices in the LORD;
  in the LORD my horn is lifted high.
My mouth boasts over my enemies,
  for I delight in your deliverance.
"There is no one holy like the LORD;
  there is no one besides you;
  there is no Rock like our God. 


When I think back on a few of the truly memorable Christmases, I remember one or two of the gifts received, for they helped make the holiday memorable. But, if you ask me who gave me the special gift I will remember even more fondly that detail. The gift is a blessing, and wonderful thing to have, but the person who gave that gift is even more precious.

Every Christmas morning I would find my favorite doll all dressed up in new clothes. Her hair would be tied back with a lovely satin ribbon which matched the dress she was sporting. There would also be an extra outfit or two. While I treasured this present, I valued the giver even more. My grandmother’s love was never doubted and this was one way she expressed that love.

Hannah’s Song of Thanksgiving is rejoicing in God, her LORD and giver of all good things. She is thankful to God for the special gift of her son Samuel. While this is a much larger scale, it does parallel my grandmother’s gift to me and my love for her – not the gift. Hannah prayed for a son and God honored that prayer. I often prayed to be loved and noticed and God honored that prayer too.

When Hannah prayed, she believed God would hear her plea. She had confidence in God’s sovereignty. She knew His power could fulfill the desires of her heart. She praised Him for all the good gifts he bestowed upon her and gave up control for her life to the only One who can control tomorrow.


Read 1 Samuel 1-2 here

Listen to 1 Samuel 1-2 here

No comments: