Pageviews past week

Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Story - Chapter 10 - 1 Samuel 13


Have you ever been given the advice not to get ahead of God? Convicting words, are they not? These words are instructing me to pray first before rushing head-first into disaster. These words are piercing words when I step back and realize I took things into my own hands – ripping them right out of God’s.

My devotion time this morning reminded me that it is a good thing to get alone with God; Jesus did this often. (see Matthew 14:23) When we allow ourselves time to talk things over with God and then close our mouths and listen, He will speak to our Spiritual Ears, words we can only hear when we are deliberately leaning in and listening.

Saul got ahead of God. He became impatient and took matters into his own hands, rejecting Samuel's instructions to wait for him. That was bad news all the way around. Our hasty actions can devastate our future and the future of those around us just like Saul’s did.

1 Samuel 13:13 (NIV)
"You acted foolishly," Samuel said. "You have not kept the command the LORD your God gave you; if you had, he would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time. But now your kingdom will not endure; the LORD has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him leader of his people, because you have not kept the LORD's command."

Is any of this striking a note with you? Are you feeling a conviction to turn to God and ask for direction and guidance? There are many places in Scripture where I wonder why God’s people acted like they did. There are many times now when I wonder why God’s people act as they do; I wonder why I act as I do. It always comes down to not turning to God first, not waiting on Him to point the way. I gotta work on that.






Read 1 Samuel 13 here


Listen to 1 Samuel 13 here

No comments: