Pageviews past week

Monday, October 15, 2012

The Story - Chapter 9 - Ruth 1:1-15


I first fell in love with the story of Ruth after reading a book by Francine Rivers called, Unshaken: Ruth, the lineage of grace series. The beauty of this narration is stunning. Then, as we begin to understand the situation and the historical timeline this becomes a unique love story.

Ruth 1:11-15 (NIV)
But Naomi said, "Return home, my daughters. Why would you come with me? Am I going to have any more sons, who could become your husbands? Return home, my daughters; I am too old to have another husband. Even if I thought there was still hope for me--even if I had a husband tonight and then gave birth to sons--would you wait until they grew up? Would you remain unmarried for them? No, my daughters. It is more bitter for me than for you, because the LORD's hand has gone out against me!" At this they wept again. Then Orpah kissed her mother-in-law good-by, but Ruth clung to her. "Look," said Naomi, "your sister-in-law is going back to her people and her gods. Go back with her."

What a frightening time in life for Ruth and Naomi. They are both widows, without bright prospects for a comfortable future. They must take things into their own hands and learn how to move forward into an uncertain tomorrow. Some of us reading this story can say, “been there, done that, and it isn’t easy.”

Naomi had a faith in God, and she shared that faith with her protégée, Ruth. And Ruth was prepared to leave all her gods behind and embrace the God of her mother-in-law. Thus begins an adventure that would eventually lead Ruth to a new land. It is obvious to the reader that God was behind all of this and He was blessing Naomi’s faith and Ruth’s obedience.


Read Ruth 1:1-15 here

Listen to Ruth 1:1-15 here

No comments: