Pageviews past week

Sunday, November 18, 2012


The Story - Chapter 12 - Psalm 51


“Bless me father for I have sinned. My last confession was four weeks ago.” Though always nervous about going behind that closed door and hoping the priest wouldn't peek through the tiny holes to see who I was, the seriousness of the wrongs I was confessing didn't truly register. I went because that’s just what good Catholic children did, and I housed an incredible fear of God.

Don’t get me wrong, there was good in many of those childhood experiences. It is right to be God fearing, however something was missing. The piece about wholeheartedly working on developing a relationship with God was never stressed. Making the bible part of our daily routine was somehow skipped.

As we walk with the Lord now, we learn as David did that we are weak and so very vulnerable to the callings of this world. In Psalm 51 David cried out to God for forgiveness. He pleaded with God for His unfailing love. David confessed his sins as being against God alone and begged for cleansing. David then promised to teach the ways of the Lord. I picture David on his knees weeping with sincere remorse. He committed adultery and murder which seems far worse than anything I was admitting to as an eleven year old in the confessional, yet the bible clearly states that all sin is the same. Breaking any of God’s commands is sinful. We are all equal in this arena of sin and need God to make our hearts pure.

Perhaps we should all put our shoes or slippers under the bed when we retire for the night. That way, in the morning we will be reminded to get on our knees and work on that relationship with God before we even begin our day. “The only way we’ll ever stand, is on our knees with lifted hands.” God please give us strength and wisdom to withstand the wrongs surrounding us daily. Lord make us courageous!

Listen to the song  Courageous  by: Casting Crowns     here

Read Psalm 51 here

Listen to Psalm 51 here


1 comment:

Judy Webb said...

I love the suggestion to put my slippers under the bed, thereby reminding me to begin my day -- on my knees searching...

Wonderful and thought provoking words this morning. Thank you.