Pageviews past week

Friday, November 30, 2012

The Story - Chapter 14 - 1 Kings 15:25-16:7

Who of us as parents hasn't tried to steer our children away from the mistakes we made? It must be written in the ‘parents’ code of parenting’ that we are to encourage our offspring to “do as I say, not as I did.” It is our goal to provide a better life for our kids than the one we experienced. We don’t want them to suffer the consequences of their mistakes – but to learn from ours. If this theory worked in reality, what a different world this would be.

Sometimes, as in the case of King Asa, “who did what was right in the eyes of the LORD,” it seemed to work the other way. His father was evil and did not do anything according to God’s will, but somehow, Asa had a good heart for God. But, immediately following this good king, evil ruled once again.

1 Kings 16:7 (NIV)
Moreover, the word of the LORD came through the prophet Jehu son of Hanani to Baasha and his house, because of all the evil he had done in the eyes of the LORD, provoking him to anger by the things he did, and becoming like the house of Jeroboam--and also because he destroyed it.

Do you ever wonder if God will tire of our rejection of Him, of the outright defiance we express when it comes to following His Word? Thankfully God keeps after us, He gives us one chance after another to repent—to turn to Him and learn from the mistakes of our parents. Today’s reading tells of yet another prophet God sent to warn, to give another chance to change and do the next right thing.

When I examine my life, the mistakes I made, the flagrant rejection of God in my life, I am humbled by His forgiving ways, for the grace He extends me each time I fail at life. I like to think that at this stage of my life, while I still fall short of the grace of God, I am learning from past mistakes. When I keep my focus on God and read the Bible regularly, I can also learn from all those who have gone before me.

Read 1 Kings 15:25-16:7 here

Listen to 1 Kings 15:25-16:7 here

No comments: