Pageviews past week

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Myths Don't Make Martyrs

Several years ago a coworker asked me to contribute to a walk-a-thon. I pledged perhaps a dollar for each mile walked. She said, “Thanks, it is for a good cause.” I probably was not passionate about the cause, but I wanted to maintain a good relationship I with my coworker.

When she later came to collect my pledge, she commented, that being out of shape, it was more difficult than she anticipated. Together, we chuckled at her “suffering – for a good cause.”
 
Two thousand years ago many Christians suffered for their cause. Many early church martyrs died for their belief in Christ. Perhaps this was God’s way of proclaiming Christ to many of the pagans. Back then, a person might dare to die for the cause of city or nation, but certainly not for another person. Dying for Jesus (a person) was contrary to the thinking of the time.
The Christian religion had to be based on fact. Myths Don’t Make Martyrs.
Flavian Amphitheater in Rome
Today’s reading, 2 Corinthians 11:16-33, tells of Paul’s sufferings for Christ. With a touch of irony, Paul tells some of the haughty Corinthians of his suffering, using worldly logic they would understand. Jesus is real, and Paul was suffering so that others would believe in Jesus.

By virtue of the fact you are reading this is proof that Jesus has not yet called either of us to be a martyr. But, he does call us to carry out his work, even if it means suffering.
 
Suffering is a strong word.
 
Perhaps a better word is sacrifice. Maybe I sacrifice some of my time for the Lord to take a mission trip. Maybe I sacrifice some of my treasure for God’s work. And perhaps, maybe, just maybe, it is not a real sacrifice at all. Perhaps these are things I will come to joyfully volunteer to do!
 
I do these things to further God’s Kingdom. I also do them so that others will see what I am willing to “sacrifice” for my “cause”. My “sacrifices” might actually lead someone to my “cause.”
 
After all, myths don’t make martyrs.

No comments: