Pageviews past week

Friday, May 29, 2015

Lead a Life Worth Imitating

When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. (John 13:12)

I believe this is a significant event for a couple of reasons. As Christians and Disciples of Jesus Christ, we are called to imitate Him. We are to say the things He said and do the things He did. When He washed the feet of His disciples, he was serving them. We should do no less.

“Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. (John 13:13-14)

When He was finished he spoke to his dear friends in an attempt to teach them how to treat one another. And more than that, He was teaching them about their mission on earth. He was teaching them what they needed to do after He was gone.

I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them. (John 13:16-17) 

Jesus set the example, He showed them how to be servants, and instructed them not to think of themselves as better than anyone else. Jesus wasn't showing them how to be nice to each other, but He was showing them how to continue His work after He was gone. He was preparing them for tomorrow. And he was preparing us as well.


John 13:12-20


No comments: