Pageviews past week

Friday, May 22, 2015

Sin has lost its Hold

We know that when Jesus was raised from the dead it was a signal of the end of death-as-the-end. Never again will death have the last word. When Jesus died, he took sin down with him, but alive he brings God down to us. From now on, think of it this way: Sin speaks a dead language that means nothing to you; God speaks your mother tongue, and you hang on every word. You are dead to sin and alive to God. That’s what Jesus did. (Romans 6:9-10 MSG)

If these words mean we never have to fear death, why do we still hyperventilate when given that terminal diagnosis? Why do we fight right up until our last breath, to survive for one more day? I think it is human nature to choose life over death. 

Life is portrayed in another context in these two verses. We no longer need fear physical death, but secondly, our daily living is sweeter. When I walk in the light, behave as Jesus did, life offers new hope, new joy, not to mention a clear conscience.

Life in that season before Jesus, prior to inviting Him into our hearts, was dark and pointless? I remember when I first began to change. My feelings or emotions were new every day. I was learning how to live a life worthy of imitation, but often would slip into old behaviors.  Recognizing this, I wanted to get that peace back. I wanted to return to yesterday; the moment right before I relapsed, and take it all back.

Before long I was able to get through one day, and then two, without reverting. I discovered it was more comfortable leaning on Jesus and asking for forgiveness as soon as I realized I was practicing old ways. Jesus changed the way I look at eternity, but also how I live out today.

Romans 6:1-14

No comments: