Pageviews past week

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Genesis 24:10-27


Hospitality as a Sign

Abraham’s wife Sarah had been buried. Abraham was older than dirt. (I mean well advanced in years.) Isaac was becoming an adult. He needed a good wife.

In those days, dating, living together for a while, having a child and then perhaps getting married didn’t happen. Isaac’s father Abraham enlisted his chief servant to find a wife for Isaac. Abraham had him make a solemn promise though, that he would not get Isaac a wife from the Canaanites they were living among, but from Abraham’s own country. He wanted to be sure that Isaac’s future wife came from the same spiritual foundation as his family. Abraham was aware of the importance of both the husband and wife having a heart for the Lord in order to work together to build a marriage relationship on the solid ground of God and the teachings of the Bible.

Have you ever prayed to God with words something like this; Father, please help me to know your will. I pray for your guidance and direction. Lord please clearly reveal to me my path that I may without a doubt know the message is from you.

That is in a way the prayer of the chief servant of Abraham. Upon arriving to the town of Nahor, the servant prayed; “Oh Lord, God of my master Abraham, give me success today, and show kindness to my master Abraham. See, I am standing beside this spring, and the daughters of the townspeople are coming out to draw water. May it be that when I say to a girl, “Please let down your jar that I may have a drink, and she says, “Drink and I’ll water your camels too” – let her be the one you have chosen for your servant Isaac. By this I will know that you have shown kindness to my master.”
Hospitality accompanied by sincerity is very welcoming. That is exactly what the girl offered the servant. She was the type of person Abraham asked the servant  to bring to him. In this case, the warm and welcoming spirit she exuded made the choice clear. She was just what the servant was looking for!

As Christ followers and lovers of the Word, we too must hold out our hands in welcoming hospitality to others. All others. The feelings or vibes we give off, may make a difference in the life path of another. Our outreach may be just what they needed.  



“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ― Maya Angelou


Read/Listen to Genesis 24:10-27

No comments: