Pageviews past week

Monday, August 31, 2015

A Sentence on a Page

In the book of Genesis, we see the story of Abraham seeking a wife for his son, Isaac. Wanting to 'keep it in the family', Abraham sends his servant to his home land to bring a wife back for Isaac. That's where we meet Rebekah; a young woman chosen by God for Isaac. To preserve the line of Abraham's family, and ultimately to preserve the line of the Savior. The servant was welcomed into Rebekah's home, and he began to explain his journey to her family:


"The Lord has greatly blessed my master, so that he has become rich; and He has given him flocks and herds, and silver and gold, and servants and maids, and camels and donkeys. Now Sarah my master’s wife bore a son to my master in her old age, and he has given him all that he has. My master made me swear, saying, ‘You shall not take a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I live; but you shall go to my father’s house and to my relatives, and take a wife for my son.’ I said to my master, ‘Suppose the woman does not follow me.’ He said to me, "The Lord, before whom I have walked, will send His angel with you to make your journey successful."
- Genesis 24:35-40a

When it's God's will, He will lead. When it's His plan, He goes before us. Abraham's servant must have had fears when we left his land to find the family of Abraham. He must have had doubts that his trip would be successful, and that he would find a woman who would travel back with him. He thought he was obeying his master Abraham by seeking a wife for Abraham's son, but really he was doing the Lord's work. God had chosen Abraham to be the father of many nations. He blessed him and Sarah with a son after their childbearing years to remind them that it was by God's authority and not their own that they would have a son. God has a specific young woman in mind for their son Isaac, because His plans stretched far beyond their lives. From Isaac and Rebekah would come Jacob, would come Judah, all the way to King David, and eventually Joseph, the husband of Mary. And then, would come Jesus. 

Just a timid servant, seeking a wife for his master's son. Yet so much more. An important mark in history that he couldn't have possibly comprehended at the time. When God calls us to something, His purpose always stretches farther than us. His plans surpass our lifetime, and his ultimate will is vast. If God has put something on your heart, no matter how small or scary or impossible or difficult it may seem, it's important to remember that we can't see the end of the story. We will never know what God is really up to, and what His ultimate will is. But if we are willing, we have the amazing opportunity to be a part of history in the making. A sentence on a page by the Author of Life. What an amazing privilege!

How will you leave your mark?

No comments: