Pageviews past week

Sunday, December 6, 2015

All is Not Lost

Comfort, what is it? What makes you feel better? When do you need comfort? How do you find it? Is comfort elusive or right there for the taking? I guess for this writer, comfort, or the pursuit of it, depends on life. My life, your life, or the world in general.

When bad things happen to me, I might seek relief through a preferred sweet or favorite movie. It depends how I define ‘bad’ at that moment. If it is simply an overdue notice a dish of ice-cream will do the trick.

If it is the terminal diagnosis, then no food in the world could help to make it all better. At times likes this comfort is elusive and I find I have to search it out. Time, or the passing of it, is generally the only comfort held out.

The scripture reading today begins, “Comfort, comfort my people…” Isaiah is sharing with his people of God’s promises of restoration and love. He is telling them their future is bright, and he is prophesying to the people that there is Hope and New Life just ahead. He is preparing them for Jesus.

“Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain.” (Isaiah: 40:4) These are words meant to comfort us, to bring hope and calm our hearts.


What is it that is breaking your heart, making you feel a prisoner in this life? Do you need comfort, peace and joy? The world is a rough place right now and some days it feels like everything is falling apart. But God is here. Tomorrow will come and Jesus will return to restore His people. “Comfort, comfort my people.”
Isaiah 40:1-9




No comments: