Pageviews past week

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Promises Kept


Psalm 145

 

When my granddaughter was about 3 years old, she took a swimming class. The highlight of the class was at the end when the water slide was opened up. One Saturday, my daughter asked me to come to the class and go into the water with my granddaughter. I was more than happy to oblige.

 

During the class, my granddaughter told me several times how much fun the water slide was, but she made me promise that I absolutely wouldn’t let her head go under water at the bottom of the slide. I vowed that I would never let that happen.

 

As we began our descent from the top of the slide, I had both arms wrapped tightly
My feet are all that can be seen of us.
around her. But as we continued our downward spiral, I began to lose my grip. The slide was tossing me from side to side. Instinctively, I let go with one hand and then the other to regain my balance. Suddenly, without warning, we were at the bottom and into the water with both of our heads going under.

 

When we got out, my granddaughter looked very, very distressed. When asked if she wanted to go down the slide again, her response was a very clipped, “No. I want to go home. I want my Daddy.” Grandpa had failed to keep his promise.

 

Promises, and how we respond to them, reveal our character. Ultimately, it reveals who we are by how we treat others. David wrote in Psalm 145 about the character of God. God’s character can be seen by how He works in our lives. In fact, seven times in this Psalm David mentions “your works”.

 

For me, it is easier to see God’s works with twenty-twenty hind sight than it is during the daily grind of life. Afterwards, I can look back and see how He brought certain people or experiences or even books or a movie into my life to shape my thinking. God has been constantly at work in my life because He loves me.

 

My granddaughter didn’t think much of my character on that Saturday morning in question. All she knew was that her grandpa had not kept his promise, whether it was intended or not.

 

We never have to worry about that with our Lord. He always keeps His promises. He shows His love to us by His faithfulness, and as His followers, we are to show His love to others by our faithfulness. Therefore, let us love one another with Christ’s love through promises kept.

 
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=psalm%20145&version=NIV;TLB
https://www.biblegateway.com/audio/mclean/niv/Ps.145



 

No comments: