Pageviews past week

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Be Fruitful

Galatians 5:22 (MSG)
But what happens when we live God's way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. 

What are these gifts But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

When we consider the opposite of these gifts we are brought back to a time before we had a relationship with Jesus before we opened up our hearts and our lives to the goodness of God and His love. Those memories aren't so sweet. I never want to forget from where I came, but I never want to go back there either.

John 15:4 (MSG)
"Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you. In the same way that a branch can't bear grapes by itself but only by being joined to the vine, you can't bear fruit unless you are joined with me. 

Abiding in God, sticking close to His side every moment is where I discover true life. My heart is more at peace when I love someone than when I feel contempt for them.  I experience joy even when there is trouble in my life. There is peace in knowing God is in control and I am not.

I am not trying to fool anyone into thinking this is easy...it is anything but. Cultivating these fruits in my daily living takes work.  There is a lot of pruning that needs to take place; the soil has to be worked up and weeds must be pulled.  Anyone who has a garden can understand the work involved to bring forth sweet and nourishing fruit.

Colossians 3:14  (MSG)
"And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

No comments: