Pageviews past week

Friday, May 27, 2016

Galatians 2:11-21

Less of Me, More of Jesus

In this scripture Paul opposed Peter (who he sometimes called Cephas)  to his face because he saw him acting in a way that was hypocritical. How often do we see others saying one thing and doing another but do not call them on it? Are there times we talk the talk but don’t walk the walk and hope no one reveals us?

Peter, a proclaimed follower of Christ had been eating with the Gentiles, practicing what Jesus had taught him about nondiscrimination. As Jesus had dined with sinners and the lowly, he expected his apostles to do the same. Upon Paul’s arrival he observed Peter separating from the Gentiles. The other Jews joined him in observance of Jewish law.

Paul stated to Peter in Galatians 2:15-16; “We who are Jews by birth and not ‘Gentile sinners’ know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we too, have to put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.”

Bottom line I get from this is that religious groups have rules and practices they follow, as they did in the days of the old church. When Jesus came to earth, he offered us a new covenant, which gave us another way to look at our God. We found out that He is an all loving and forgiving God, not one who sits on a throne with a gavel in hand waiting to judge us. He cares for us deeply and wants to be eternally with us all when that time comes. This life we have is not ours but; “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20

Jesus came to earth to show us how to live the perfect life of love. Though we will not achieve the sinless status Jesus holds, we can continually strive for it by following the Word of God in our daily life. By holding ourselves accountable not so much for the rituals but our faith in the trinity that we demonstrate through our life journey, will we experience the spirit within us and be enabled to live a life that pleases God.

Lord, I need more of you in my life and less of me and the rituals that sometimes dictate my actions. Jesus,
please help me to live a Christ centered life each and every day with a focus on what you taught us is most important. God help me remember that I obey your word not to gain your approval, but because I have faith in you I am your precious child and already have your approval. Amen!

Read/Listen to Galatians 2:11-21



No comments: