Pageviews past week

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Don't be Afraid to Ask

Bartimaeus heard it was Jesus passing by and he began to shout out, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" (Mark 10:47)

Jesus' response is striking, he asks Bartimaeus, "What do you want me to do for you?" (v 51)

"Rabbi, I want to see," was the response.  Bartimaeus believed Jesus could make his life better, that He could heal him from blindness. He wanted Jesus to intervene and make him whole.

"Go," Jesus said, "Your faith has healed you." Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road. (v 52)

Since ancient times no one has heard,
no ear has perceived,
no eye has seen any God besides you,
who acts on behalf of those who wait for him.
Isaiah 64:4

This Isaiah verse refers to a God who acts for those who wait for him. The Hebrew word for wait is an active word. It means to long for, to cling or adhere to. It has the sense of something that is uppermost on a person's mind.

So the question here, for me and for you to ponder is, what do I want Jesus to do? What do I really want? Who or what is trying to silence me - my shouts for help from God? Is my unworthiness stifling my prayers? Is it my desire for material things that get in the way?  

What does God want me to ask of Him? "You do not have because you do not ask." (James 4:2) I must examine my heart and go boldly before the throne and put my faith into action.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." (Matthew 7:7)

So, what do you want, really?

Mark 10:46-52

No comments: