Pageviews past week

Sunday, August 28, 2016

We do it for Love


Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. “Teacher,” they said, “we want you to do for us whatever we ask.”

“What do you want me to do for you?” he asked.

They replied, “Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.”  (Mark 10:35-37)

This conversation between Jesus and His two close companions resembles a conversation many a child has had with a parent when they want to ask for something they most likely will not receive. I know, I’ve done it myself. It goes something like this:

“Mom, now don’t say no; just listen. I want to ask for something and I need you to promise you’ll say yes. Don’t worry, you’ll like it – really. Promise?” Sound familiar? Red flags pop up all over the place for the parent who is asked this question.

Don’t you love how Jesus just plays along.  He knows what is on the horizon for James and John. He even knows what they are going to ask before they ask. He challenges them by saying, “You don’t know what you are asking.”

Mom or dad knows that we will probably get hurt in some manner if they blindly agree, so seldom does this tactic work for the child.


When Jesus asked His two friends if they were prepared to face the pain and suffering He himself was going to experience, He went on to tell them that they would in fact face these things. He was helping them move into the future with a reality check. 

God, show me how to face tomorrow with courage and discernment. Be my guide and my light into the future.  Amen.

No comments: