Pageviews past week

Monday, September 26, 2016

Invite a Friend to go Fishing

Do you like to fish? When I was a young girl we lived near a lake and in the spring and summer my sister and I would sometimes accompany our father fishing in the evening. I was always excited when we were able to go with him, not because I loved to fish, but because just maybe I would catch something and my father would be proud.

Today we find Peter, James, and John receiving a fishing lesson from the Master. Jesus suggested they go out where it was deeper and let down their nets to catch some fish. Peter explained to Jesus the reality of the fishing business and shared some basic tactics with Him.

“Master,” Simon replied, “we worked hard all last night and didn’t catch a thing. But if you say so, I’ll let the nets down again.” (Luke 5:5)

I used to go fishing to get my father's attention because I wanted to do something he would approve of. Jesus taught His good friends that fishing was going to take on a whole new meaning for them. The analogy of fishing for men was one they didn't understand but would soon embrace with all their hearts.

Now I want to go fishing but taking a different stance. I want to invite one or two people to build a new relationship with and for them to get to know me better. I would love to have a few more people to talk and laugh with; to be real with. Who doesn't need more friends, people to share life's ups and downs and process life with? 

Fishing is fun and who knows how it might change a life.  

No comments: