Pageviews past week

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Holy Spirit You are Welcome Here

When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened 22 and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.” -Luke 3:21-22

Do you remember the day you were baptized?  It was September 19, 1981 I was 9 years old and my father stood next to me getting baptized as well.  I remember being so excited.  I wanted God to have control of my life.  I saw him as my protector, someone I could go to with anything. 

It's funny, I still feel that way today, but those feelings really stand out in my memory on that day.  Our scripture passage today tells us that, “When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too.”  Why?  Jesus was perfect.  He did not need to repent.  He did not need his sins forgiven.  He was living a perfect life without need of a Savior.  He was the Savior!

So why was he baptized?  I believe it was an act of obedience.  The father wanted him to be baptized to show us what to do and to be introduced from Heaven.  Scripture says, “heaven opened up and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove.  And a voice came from heaven: ‘You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well please.’”


Did you know, the Holy Spirit did not fill many people in the Old Testament the way he does today. When we read the Old Testament, we see a few people such as Joshua, Saul, David and limited others who God said the Spirit was in.

The Holy Spirit was sent after Jesus resurrection, to help us communicate with God. Now when we accept Christ into our heart, it is the Holy Spirit who takes up residence.  When you pray, it’s the Holy Spirit who takes those prayers to the throne of the Father. 

It is the Holy Spirit who we feel moving in us comforting us, directing us, and convicting us of sin; leading us to repentance.  Just as the Holy Spirit came down and rested on Jesus, he has come down to all who believe in Christ and confess him as Lord.  


We can trust that God will be there for us.  He knows what is happening in our lives and we have a counselor guiding us everyday.

No comments: