Pageviews past week

Friday, February 3, 2017

The God of our Peace

Rejoice in the Lord always. (Philippians 4:4)

It is not natural to rejoice when we find ourselves in the midst of trouble. I can remember years ago when my business was failing it was hard to think of anything but the mess I was in.  I obsessed about what to do next and never considered rejoicing.

But Paul wrote this letter while in prison. We might wonder how he could write about rejoicing while he was in chains; but it is worth noting that he says rejoice, he doesn't say be happy! He also isn't saying to rejoice in your situation, but rejoice in the Lord.

We all experience times of great trouble when we are anything but happy.  There isn't a lot to laugh about when faced with a serious illness or when we find ourselves in over our heads in debt. But, I know from personal struggles that, while I am not giggly or bubbling over with joy, I do have a sense of peace and delight when I turn to God for direction or comfort.

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 
(Philippians 4:5-6) 

Do not be anxious about anything...this is a tall order. It takes a deliberate action on my part to pull back from my tendency to worry and lay my burden at the foot of the cross. I have found if I do this mentally--if I can close my eyes and see myself hefting this burden into my arms and dropping it at Jesus' feet, my burden gets lighter.

That is the God of peace with you. (Philippians 4:9) 


No comments: