Pageviews past week

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Jesus the High Priest survived temptation

8 March
Read Hebrews 4:14-5:5 and reflect on the passage.

Jesus was “tempted in all things, yet without sin.” He survived temptation—hard to imagine as I think of my track-record! What temptations do I face? They are common to all, even Jesus: lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, pride of life (1 John 2:16). Guilty as charged. Sometimes I feel the score is: Temptation 1000, Me 0. And, indeed, it can be so when I try dealing with temptation myself. I need to rely on Jesus, the victor, who won over temptation. Why? Two reasons: (1) to help me overcome temptation, and (2) to cover me when I blow it.

An old hymn asks, “Have we trials and temptations, is there trouble anywhere? We should never be discouraged, take it to the Lord in prayer.” We can confidently come to the throne of grace, knowing that in our need, we will receive mercy and grace. We know because we meet our perfect High Priest there; He who remained sinless in the face of extraordinary temptation became the perfect sacrifice for our long-standing record of losses. Without Him, we are the biggest losers. With Him, we are the greatest winners, because He is the Ultimate Survivor.

Questions

1. What temptations do you still try to deal with yourself and continue to fail? Why not begin relying on your sinless High Priest?

2. Is there some sin you feel disqualifies you from going confidently into God’s presence to receive His mercy and grace? Why not trust His promises?

Prayer

Can we find a friend so faithful, who will all our sorrows bear? You know our every weakness, we bring all to You in prayer.

Mary Lou Garves

No comments: