Pageviews past week

Monday, March 26, 2018

Isaiah 49:1-6

As I read through these verses, I was not comforted by language like this:

-"I have labored to no purpose; I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing. (v. 4)"

Why on earth would you want to serve a King who doesn't reward you - after you have labored for him?  In verse 3, just before these 'doom and gloom' words, the Lord calls his servant "Israel."  Since this passage is in the Old Testament, I think we are safe to assume that he is speaking to the Jews, God's chosen people.  Indeed, in verse 1, Isaiah says that "before I was born the Lord called me; from my birth he has made mention of my name." 

So this servant and this King have had a long-established relationship.  And the servant is feeling....undervalued.  How does the King respond? 

1.  The Lord reminds the Servant of who he is:  I formed you in the womb (v. 5).  Remember who is the potter, and who is the clay.

2.  I have plans to bless you that are FAR beyond what you can imagine - in fact, I will make you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth! (v. 6).

Yes, Lord, I am the servant.  You are the King.  I sometimes grumble and complain, and then when I study your word, I am reminded what you have done for me, and how completely undeserving I am of this gift.  Help me to join God's servant Israel in being a light to those who don't yet know you. 

Salvation to the ends of the earth - these are joyful words at this Easter time of year!



No comments: