Pageviews past week

Friday, April 13, 2018

Bear Necessities

2 Peter 3:10-13

If only we had a heads up on life’s curve balls! Wouldn’t it be great to be prepared for any situation?! I want to be like Bear Grylls – fearless and prepared for anything that comes his way. Bear seems to anticipate all possibilities and not dread them. He enjoys running into the “unexpected.”

Recently I went through an Alpha course and was pleasantly surprised to see Bear’s face on the screen. I didn’t know he had such a strong faith. I decided to google him and found multiple articles about his walk with God. I clicked on one story written a few months ago by Bear himself for British GQ. Again, pleasantly surprised to find such a story in this publication.

Bear wrote, “when we’re truly afraid and there’s no one around to help us, to possess a quiet faith can give us a persistence, light and courage that is so much greater than simply ourselves.” Later he says, “For many years I tried to do without it (faith). I tried to be strong only in myself. But the truth is that I’m not. I need a helping hand, a peace within and that quiet assurance for my future…I am no longer too proud to admit that I need my Saviour beside me.” He ends by saying, “Each fresh challenge offers an opportunity for you to develop your adventurous spirit and inner strength. So be brave. Embrace faith wherever you may find it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.”

After reading this, I understood where Bear’s confidence comes from. He knows he could die doing what he does, but it doesn’t seem to faze him because he knows where he’s going and that there’s a wonderful new heaven and new earth waiting.

No comments: