Pageviews past week

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Miracles and Belief

Acts 9:32-42

The 'summary' heading in my Bible for these ten verses is simple:  Aenas and Dorcas.  Ten verses telling the story of two women healed by Peter.  Miracles, plain and simple.  And the best part:  "This [Peter raising Dorcas from the dead] became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord.  (Acts 9:42)" 

Do you remember Thomas' reaction when the other disciples told him that they had seen Jesus - alive and well - after the crucifixion?  See these words in John 20:

24 Now Thomas (also known as Didymus[a]), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”

Is that where you find yourself from time to time?  Lord, I won't believe until you show me VERY CLEARLY.  I NEED a miracle!  That's certainly what I want.  Make it so clear, God, that i will never, ever doubt you again.

Read again - or read it for the first time - what happened to Thomas after he saw Jesus with his own eyes:
 27 Then Jesus said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.
28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Then Jesus told him, Because you have seen me, you have believed;blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.

We Christians in 2018 know how the story turns out.  We've been to the empty tomb.  We've seen you raise Lazarus, Dorcas, and others from the dead.  We've got your word, the Bible, words to live by, to challenge and comfort us.  Help me to believe and to act on that belief so that others will come to know you as well.  Amen.


No comments: