Pageviews past week

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Hangry Spirit

Dear Readers – Please welcome the first of our three newest writers to Daily Bible Blast, Abby Fullen. Abby will be writing the Thursday posts-below is her first contribution. 

Holy. I’m hesitant to use such a word to describe myself. I mean, I’m holy and so is the Holy Spirit? I don’t feel like I’m quite up to that standard. But when I read the definition of that word I find it to be a soothing balm- it turns it into a feeling, a state of being, an action. I can shed the fear of having to live up to an expectation and step into the holiness that Jesus’s sacrifice bestowed on me, on us.

Let’s look at holiness in the realm of fasting. Practicing Christians know well that we gain when we release. Through the actions of freeing ourselves from a master, we’re allowing ourselves to more fully experience the intentions God has for us.

I have an issue with “hanger” (angry hunger). Most of the time you may hear it as hangry, like “Watch out, she’s super hangry.” — Most often spoken by my mother. Instead of feeding that “hanger” with good food- vegetables, clean protein, natural sugar from fruits- I often choose to quickly satisfy it with processed foods full of bad fat and sugar. I spike my blood sugar levels so I can dissipate the uncomfortable feelings of hunger and anger as quickly as possible, without thought to the damage I’ve done. Because the hunger isn’t being fulfilled in a healthy way.

The same goes with my spiritual “hanger.” I’ve been in plenty of seasons when I’m so hungry for God, and so impatient, that I turn to lifestyle comparisons with strangers on social media, sugar-filled baked goods, and the first thing that pops up on my Netflix queue. Because I feel fed for a moment, long enough until I have to do it again. However, I’ve stopped instantly satisfying my cravings and I’ve made myself sit in impatience because constant feedings of comparison and fiction that end in emptiness aren’t working for me anymore. I’m not going to tell you that I have it figured out. I’m still hungry. But, drawing from the definition of “holy,” I am humbled, inspired, motivated, on fire for fulfilling my hunger for God in better ways, in a healthy way.

Through His sacrifice, I’m dedicated to Him, I’m “sacred” and “divine.” Why wouldn’t I want to live into those definitions the best I could? I want to feed my sanctification by fasting from that which only makes me hungrier. When I fast from unhealthy, instant gratification, my holiness is fed. And I feel the wholeness from His sacrifice which has made me holy.      ----Abby Fullen

No comments: