Pageviews past week

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Believe in Someone

Ephesians 4:29-5:2

This passage is short but meaty.  Let's take a look:

In verses 29 - 31, Paul tells us NOT to do the following: 
1.  No unwholesome talk.
2.  Do not grieve the Holy spirit.
3.  Get rid of bitterness, rage, anger, brawling, slander, and every form of malice.
OK, that's easy enough.....Yes, that's sarcasm.  Through my own efforts, I will NEVER succeed in eliminating these behaviors from my life. 
 What does Paul tell us to replace these negatives with?
1.  Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other.
2.  Follow God's example and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us.
And what motivated Jesus to live as he did?  He gave himself up for us 'as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.'  That's you and me he did that for.  Let that sink in.  He loved us so much that he sacrificed his life for us.   Even if we completely got rid of #s 1, 2 and 3 above in the negative column, we wouldn't be acceptable to God. That's not the way he set it up.
The controversial new Nike ad tagline goes like this:  Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.  Let me tell you that believing in 'something' isn't enough.  You've got to believe in Someone, and that Someone - Jesus - died on a cross for you and for me.  And he's longing to spend time with you, and to walk beside you as you grow in your love for him and for your family, your neighbors, your coworkers, and those he puts in your path.
Lord, you truly did sacrifice it all for me.  If I was the only person on earth, you would have died for me.  Help me each day to love you more dearly and to share that love, unconditionally, with others.  Amen.  

No comments: