Pageviews past week

Monday, September 17, 2018

God Is Not Like Us

Psalm 50:1,16-21

 The Mighty One, God, the Lord,
    speaks and summons the earth
    from the rising of the sun to where it sets.

16 But to the wicked person, God says:

“What right have you to recite my laws
    or take my covenant on your lips?
17 You hate my instruction
    and cast my words behind you.
18 When you see a thief, you join with him;
    you throw in your lot with adulterers.
19 You use your mouth for evil
    and harness your tongue to deceit.
20 You sit and testify against your brother
    and slander your own mother’s son.
21 When you did these things and I kept silent,
    you thought I was exactly[a] like you.
But I will rebuke you and accuse you to your face.

In Isaiah 29:13, we learn, "The Lord says:  These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.  Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men."

Also in Proverbs 1:22 is another reference to the wicked hating the Lord's instruction.  It says, "How long will you simple ones love your simple ways?  How long will mockers delight in mockery and fools hate knowledge?"

Romans 1:32 says, "Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them."

The Psalmist says that God's response is to keep silent.  Isaiah 42:14 says that God keeps quiet and holds Himself back.  Isaiah 57:11 says "Whom have you so dreaded and feared that you have been false to me, and have neither remembered me nor pondered this in your hearts?  Is it not because I have long been silent that you do not fear me?"

Because of God's silence, the wicked think that He is exactly like them.  But the Lord says, "I will rebuke you and accuse you to your face."

Do we really think God is like us?  Let's review by going back to verse 1 of Psalm 50 to see who God is.  He is the Mighty One, God, the Lord.  He speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the of the sun to the place where it sets.  He is not like us.  Let us always remember who He is!

No comments: