Pageviews past week

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

The Church Has Left the Building



Many of us struggle with sharing our faith. We don’t want to be seen as pushy; we’re afraid of rejection; and we feel unqualified to answer the tough questions others may challenge us with.

If you have these fears, I hope you can be encouraged by a few of my stories.

During a recent business lunch, I was asked why I became a real estate agent. I explained that I’m a follower of Jesus, sought his guidance, and felt like he was leading me into this career. The transition was difficult, but God blessed it. My title affiliate responded by talking about difficult transitions in her career and began to see how God’s hand was at work in her life too.

Another time I briefly met with a client on a Sunday afternoon. Certain that I had a busy day of selling ahead of me, he was surprised to hear that I was spending the afternoon volunteering at a picnic for incoming international students. He opened up about how he had been burned in the past by abusers of church-run charities. I encouraged him to look past the people who take advantage and consider those who are helped.

Finally, as I was exiting the hospital this month, I was confronted by a young man begging for a ride to his broken down car. Many people, exercising reasonable caution, had refused to help him and he was exhausted from walking. I felt secure enough in the situation to give him a ride, and he was very grateful. He asked who I was visiting at the hospital. I told him it was a friend I knew from Bible study, and he began to discuss his rough upbringing and eventual connection to the Lord. I was the help God wanted to send him that day.

None of these stories climax with the sinner’s prayer, but in each one someone was pointed toward the Lord because I am in an authentic relationship with Jesus Christ, I look for natural opportunities to talk about that relationship, and I listen for a response. That last part is key. Listening is caring. Trade listening for arguing and conflict will come, but trade arguing for caring and the Spirit will come.

No comments: