Pageviews past week

Saturday, January 12, 2019

A New Resolution

Habakkuk 2:18 (NIV)
"Of what value is an idol, since a man has carved it? Or an image that teaches lies? For he who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak.

As we end our series titled, In AWE, and wind down our celebrations of Jesus birth, it is more than fitting to conclude with a scripture about idol worship. God sent his son to free us from sin which as captured us and holds us in bondage. Lifeless, man-made objects cannot free anyone from anything. They can't speak to the heart and guide the spirit. They can't comfort a broken heart nor redeem a destroyed life. They only collect dust.

Have you identified the idols that have captured your heart? Do you recognize what it is that you worship without realizing what it is you are doing? Each new year, as I examine the past year, I realize that those new years resolutions I commit to often are about changing my behaviors. I came to the conclusion a few years ago that my eating habits were so much about poor choices as it was about my wants. Food had become my idol--my go to in order to feel good.

I longed for the comfort certain foods provided, no matter how temporary. I learned that the feeling I was seeking and stuffing down with sweets, was never satisfied. Each day I would repeat the same practice. Now, having identified this idol, I know it will never fill the gap. There is no value and no reprieve from the emptiness. Only Jesus can make the changes to my heart necessary for a peaceful life.

I know this sounds like a Sunday School answer, but just try it. Try to turn to the Jesus and talk to Him about that need which remains unfilled. Ask Him to sooth your hurt, and seek answers to all your questions about life. One way I do this is to write things out in a journal each morning. I'll open my Bible and just begin reading a passage or two.

God will speak, every time I seek. The Magi were looking for more than lifeless idols to fill the open spaces in their lives, and they found Jesus. You can too!



Habakkuk 2:18-20

No comments: