Pageviews past week

Sunday, January 13, 2019

You Are Forgiven!

Romans 5:8

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Yes, it's a verse you have read many times before, unless you are a new Christian.  In which case, rejoice in this good news!

And to those of us who are 'insiders,' it's time to take a fresh look at this all-too-familiar scripture.

While we were yet sinners.....
Before we did anything good....
We can't earn his favor....
He died for us BEFORE we could do anything to deserve it.

Are you hearing those words?  Are they settling into your soul?  

You cannot outdo God.  You cannot impress him with your good works.  You must come to him, as the old gospel hymn says, "just as I am, without one plea, but that your blood was shed for me...O Lamb of God, I come, I come."

Everything in me resists this scripture.  I want to be worthy of God's favor.  I know intellectually that I can't 'get a better grade' or a pay raise, or even a pat on the back, when I do good works.  So my prayer is that  God will show me how much he loves me, and with that freedom and blessing will come a heart that longs to share that good news with others.  

1.  Are you trying to earn your salvation?  Think on Romans 5:8.  Ask God to give you a thirst for him - to make him the leader and lord of your life.

2.  How can this make a difference in your life this week?  Start every day with the knowledge that God is going before you, and you are to look for him and rejoice in his plans for you.  Then go boldly, knowing that you are forgiven!

"What makes a person a Christian is not our love for God, which is always imperfect, but God's love for us."  (Tim Keller).

Lord, remove the burden of my efforts to win your favor.  Help me to dwell in the shelter of the Most High and to rest in the shadow of the Almighty (Ps. 91). 


No comments: