Pageviews past week

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

First Words

So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
Galatians 3:26-27


Do you remember the first words you spoke as a baby? Probably not, but odds are your parents do. According to a recent survey, 87% of you began speaking with some variation of “dada” or “mama.” The third most common word was some variation of “Hiya!” 

First words are important. They establish relationship. They greet and welcome. They set the course for what is to follow.

And so it continues into adulthood. “Good morning, mom!” “Welcome home, honey!” “Glad to see you, brother!” “How can I help you, sir?” “What do you want?!!!” “Where have you been?!!!” “Excuse me, in what aisle can I find the aspirin?” 

Every time you see someone, you exchange first words, for better or for worse, and the course of your interaction is set. When we pray to our God, it is no different.

My first prayer each day always begins with these words: “Heavenly Father, Sovereign Lord, Holy Spirit ... Thank you for this new day of your creation. Your grace and your mercy are fresh every morning.”

I love these words. They identify my God as triune: my father, my lord, and my guiding spirit. When I give thanks, my heart opens to receive what God has prepared for me on this new day. In recalling his grace and his mercy, I am freed from my past sins and clothed again with the light of Christ. As a shower cleans the body, so these words clean my soul. 

What are your first words for God when you wake up in the morning?

No comments: