Pageviews past week

Sunday, May 12, 2019

Mercy, Not Self-Righteous Justification

Luke 10:25-37


This is another 'famous' story in scripture that would be easy for us to gloss over.....yes, yes, I've read this one many times, and we all know the story of the Good Samaritan....

So take a moment, and read it with fresh eyes.  Ask God to give you HIS heart as you read - what new truth do you see in this old story?

This time through for me, I was struck by the words that Luke uses to describe the young attorney's question:  "he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, 'And who is my neighbor?' (v. 29).

Not "he wanted to know more."
Not "he was surprised by Jesus' comments and wanted to keep a dialogue going."

No.  He wanted to justify himself.  Doesn't that cut to the core of how we often approach the Lord?  Lord, I want you to know that I had no choice when I cut off that driver.  It wasn't my fault.  Lord, you can't expect me to be civil to that coworker who is always taking credit for my work?  And on it goes.  

Here's my next 'new' takeaway:  the parable ends with Jesus asking the young man "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor too the man who fell into the hands of robbers?"  (v. 36).  This time the lawyer answers with much more insight:  "The one who had mercy on him."  (v. 37).

Webster's dictionary defines mercy as 'compassion or forbearance shown especially to an offender or to one subject to ones power; compassionate treatment of those in distress.'

How do I show mercy to those around me?  If i am a boss or manager, can I show mercy to my employees?  How can i show compassionate treatment of those in distress?  I am reminded of these verses in Matthew 25:


37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

We have great opportunities to show mercy!  Lord, help us seek not to justify our own selfish ends, but to show mercy - and to see those brothers and sisters in need that you bring into our lives.  Amen.  

No comments: