Pageviews past week

Saturday, June 27, 2020

Gratitude Leads to Contentment

June 28, 2020

This week we will first trace what happens with the bronze serpent and read passages in the New Testament that draw on the story from Numbers 21. We’ll learn that we can grow in faith, and persevere through trials, by keeping our eyes on Jesus.

SCRIPTURE

Click her to read from Numbers 21:6-9

Study the passage using this Bible Study method.

REFLECTION


By Judy Webb


The Israelites just defeated the Canaanites and here they are, complaining about everything. Numbers 21:5 says: they spoke against God and against Moses, and said, "Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the desert? There is no bread! There is no water! And we detest this miserable food!" 

Our reading begins at verse 6 and the Israelites are now facing venomous snakes. The people have been bitten by, and are dying from, these bites. All because they complained? Why do you think this is?  What is God doing? I won't begin to answer for God, but I do know that by reading the next verses we see the people turned back to Moses for help. The people came to Moses and said, "We sinned when we spoke against the LORD and against you. Pray that the LORD will take the snakes away from us." So Moses prayed for the people. Numbers 21:7 (NIV)

It seems these snakes were there all along, but God had protected his people from them. Now, that protection was lifted for a bit when they distrustfully concluded they must die in the wilderness. Perhaps God is taking them at their word. 

There is a saying, 'Be careful what you ask for." This is true for us too. I know that I have been feeling ungrateful for what I have. A dangerous discontentment has taken over my thoughts and I struggle with life in general. But, I know that I have much to thank God for, just as the Israelites did. God showed up for them in big ways. He has for me also. So, enough of this poor me attitude. Let's all stop whining and count our blessings.


View the sermon here and use the sermon notes below for your family and/or small group discussions.


Click her to download today’s Sermon Notes


UALC’s CAMPAIGN OF PRAYER





No comments: