Pageviews past week

Sunday, August 2, 2020

A Spiritual Vision of the Present

The book of Revelation is not just a picture of the future (how we usually understand “prophecy”). It is also a spiritual picture of the present. God uses this book to reveal the spiritual reality behind the world we see and experience.

STUDY THE SCRIPTURE

Click here to access the reading from Revelation 1:9-20
For more help use this Bible Study method
REFLECTION

A Spiritual Vision of the Present
by Elaine Pierce

Revelation – I have to write a blog on a passage from the book of Revelation? Sweaty palms…feelings of insecurity, this is not an easy book to understand, let alone write about. Lord, help me to remember that this post isn’t about impressing anyone with my knowledge or my understanding. Help me to get out of the way and let your light and your truth shine through.

As I read these verses, I am struck by the glorious picture that John creates for us. It is other-worldly, this man with “head and hair white like wool, as white as snow, and eyes like blazing fire.” And that’s just the beginning of the description. What do you think a voice that sounds like “rushing waters” sounds like? Bellowing and powerful is my guess. And his face? His face, “was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.” Wow. This is quite a vision. And it becomes clear as we read on that John is seeing Jesus.

What was John doing when he had this vision? Don’t miss this or you might think he had been drinking, or he might even have been on hallucinogenic drugs. He says this in Revelation 1:10: “On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit…” He was studying God’s word and praying in the Holy Spirit. This was not a drug-induced vision, this was a God-given vision!

Understandably, John is frightened when he first sees this incredible man. But what happens next? The man says to John: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One: I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever!” (v. 18). This vision has a purpose, and the purpose will become clear as we continue to read this amazing book.

My takeaways from these verses are simple:

1. Spend time with God daily. He will share good things with you as you spend time with him. – Be in the Spirit. How can you do that? Read the daily UALC Worship blogs. Ask a trusted Christian friend to hold you accountable. Join a small group and seek God. He will draw near to you, and you can trust him that he will reveal Truth to you.

2.Don’t be afraid of what He will show you. Psalm 16:11 says it well: “You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.”

I’ve never had a vision like the one John had. Perhaps I haven’t spent the time ‘in the Spirit’ like John has. Help us, Lord, to draw near to you, and to be open to the good gifts you have for us. Thank you for this mysterious, transcendent book of Revelation. Help us to be open to what we will learn in these pages. Amen.

UALC’S CAMPAIGN OF PRAYER - SUNDAY
SCRIPTURES Pray the Scriptures. Some examples are Psalm 91:1-15 / Psalm 121:5-8 / John 14:27 / Philippians 4:6-7 / 2 Timothy 1:7

No comments: