Pageviews past week

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The Church at Thyatira

The church in Thyatira is an interesting contrast to the church in Ephesus. Here, the church is praised for its love and faith. However, false teaching and immorality are doing damage in the church. It seems that gentile Christians in this congregation were getting pulled back into old, gentile ways of life. As you read, consider how false teaching and immorality are a temptation to for Christians today.

STUDY THE SCRIPTURE

Click here to access the reading from Revelation 2:18-29

For more help use this Bible Study method

REFLECTION

The Church at Thyatira
By Katie Borden

Last summer, my family took a vacation to the beach, where my oldest nephew and I went wave-jumping in the majestic Atlantic Ocean. He was so enthralled with the wonder of the moment that he was paying no attention to the strength of the ocean current, but I noticed that we were slowly being carried further and further down the coast. When he finally looked toward the beach to see if anyone in our family was admiring his impressive aquatic acrobatics, he was shocked to discover that he didn’t recognize any landmarks on shore. We had drifted far enough that, as far as he could tell, we were in completely unfamiliar territory. I think he said something to the effect of, “How did we end up here?”

What a great question, buddy.
How did we end up here?

When we read about the way the church in Thyatira was tolerating false teaching and encouragement into “less-than-best” living, we can imagine the community may have essentially been in a sort of “drift” away from the kind of life that God had intended for them to live.

Do you experience any “drift” in your life? These past few months of isolation, difficult as they’ve been, ended up being the vehicle God used to break many of us out of the “less-than-best” patterns of living we had been tolerating in our lives—for me, it was patterns of busyness and “shallowness” that aren’t healthy, yet are all-too-common in our culture. Reading today’s text reminds me of how detrimental that “drift” can be to both individuals and communities, carrying us into territory that we neither recognize nor welcome. I don’t want to allow patterns of sin and unhealth to creep back into my life, but I am also afraid that I’m not able to push back against the pressure around me—the force of the “culture current” sometimes just seems too strong. I need Someone stronger to anchor me. So, I fall yet again at the feet of Jesus, the Son of God, the One with the authority and power to fight on my behalf, and I cling to Him.

What are the “false teachings” of the world you are led into believing? Where are you drifting? Ask the Holy Spirit for revelation and insight into what you are tolerating in your life that is less than God’s best. Consider making these words from songwriter Andi Rozier your prayer: “Reveal to me what sin remains, then lead me to the cross again.”

UALC’S CAMPAIGN OF PRAYER – WEDNESDAY


WISDOM  Pray for wisdom in these times as we all work toward protecting lives. Consider the livelihoods of millions hurt by the economic impact.

No comments: