Pageviews past week

Friday, June 18, 2021

Love, for the Day Is Near

 PRAYER PRACTICE

Lectio – Read today’s passage through once. Then spend some time praying and asking God to show you what you need to pay attention to in the text. Read it again. Now ask God to help you see what this text, and the part that has stood out, may mean for you. Don’t expect to get a clear word every time but always be ready to really hear from God through His Word.

DAILY READING

Romans 13:8-12

DEVOTION/REFLECTION

Love, for the Day Is Near

By David Thompson

The word debt conjures up many things in our minds; either good or bad. When it comes to money, debt can be either of these positions as well, depending on the circumstances. Dave Ramsey in his book, The Total Money Makeover, would tell us that no unnecessary debt is a good thing. However, fulfilling our debt to others is a biblical commandment and is a very good thing.

This topic reminds me of a story that happened to me in the sixth grade. I had two tickets to a movie that my friend wanted to see. I only needed one ticket. My friend offered me a dollar for the extra ticket. I accepted his terms. Lo and behold, the next day came and I asked him for my dollar; and no dollar was received. Then I asked him again the next day and the next. It turned into a bunch of angry words and the teacher ultimately got involved. I am not sure how the teacher handled it, but I know I never got my dollar. Unfortunately, our friendship was all but over. 

Today's passage says to make our only debt the love of others. For whoever pays this debt of loving their neighbor fulfills the law. The author, Paul, continues by naming four commandments from the original ten commandments. What is unique of the named group is that they speak of fulfilling our debt to men as a way to fulfill the law of God. Another similar commandment is seen in Leviticus 19:18. It states, "Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself."

Then Paul states, "The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber." He encourages us to get on with the task of loving and serving our neighbors because "night" (evil times) is almost over, so He tells us to put on the armor of light. Christ is coming again. Hallelujah! 

Lord Jesus, help us to be keenly aware of the debt we owe to others. Give us eyes to see the need of others and to act accordingly. Guide us and encourage us in all we do today. Amen.



No comments: