Pageviews past week

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Changing the Subject John 4:19-26

My friend and I were having a conversation and I was sharing about the pain and loneliness of growing up in a home with parents who would rather spend the evening in the local bar than at home with their children.

My friend bristled when I turned the conversation to her and asked how she was doing. She changed the topic and said, “Tom’s parents are coming for dinner and I want to impress them. Will you give me your recipe for German Potato Salad?”

“I would be glad to,” I said, knowing she needed a friendly ear and safe conversation today. I also knew there would be other days for us to talk.

This reminded me of the story of the Samaritan women who was speaking to Jesus. He was telling her about herself and she was getting uncomfortable. She changed the conversation by saying, "Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem." (John 4:20)

Jesus made no attempt to turn the discussion back to her lifestyle. He kept her interest by demonstrating his willingness to let her direct the discussion.

Father, help me to recognize when I need to listen and love someone. Keep my mouth closed and my heart open. Amen.

No comments: