Pageviews past week

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Batter Up -- Acts 17:22-31

A few years ago I had a supervisor who would use baseball analogies when making a point. He would use phrases such as ‘hitting one out of the park,’ when praising someone’s brilliant idea. He would talk about ‘covering all the bases,’ emphasizing the need to think things through when planning a new venture. Later, when meeting with him to discuss the success or failure of a certain project, he would help me see where I ‘struck out,’ or celebrate with me when I would ‘hit a home run’.

I was reminded of this type of teaching style when reading the story in Acts 17:22-23. “Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. This story reminded me about the phrase ‘covering all the bases’. The people of Athens did not want to miss a god they should be recognizing, so they created an altar to an unknown deity, just to be sure.

Dear God, I am praising you for revealing yourself to me; for sending your son, Jesus, as a redeemer to the world. I pray, Father, that you show me how to help someone else recognize you as God. Amen.

Read the Scripture text for today at Biblegateway

We welcome your comments below.

No comments: