Pageviews past week

Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Empty Tomb John 20:1-9

The stone at the entrance to the tomb is gone. Where is the body of Jesus? While it is still dark, Mary is running to Peter and John. She tells them that the tomb is empty. “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don't know where they have put him!”

Peter, who denied knowing Jesus, and John run quickly to the tomb to see what is happening. Their eyes settle on strips of linen lying inside the tomb. They see the burial cloth that had been around Jesus' head neatly folded and laid aside. I can imagine a distressing stillness surrounding them.

Something happens to John and Peter as they stand peering into the empty tomb. It is said that John sees and believes. He believes Jesus is resurrected. John and Peter actually witness the resurrection through what they see in the tomb before it is written in Scripture as God's plan. How awesome, but overwhelming and confusing this experience must be!

As I read today's text, I find myself looking into the open tomb with John and Peter. I am a believer. I believe the tomb could not hold Jesus. I believe the evil in the world could not destroy the Truth of His resurrection. As at Easter, I raise my arms and say, "Christ is risen. He is risen, indeed!"


Email your comments, here. We enjoy hearing from you.

Read today's text, John 20:1-9, on Biblegateway.

No comments: