Pageviews past week

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Living Word -- 1 Peter 1:13-22

As a Catholic grade school student, I learned about buying, selling and earning indulgences. The early church used this practice to gain wealth.  Even as recently as the mid 1950's I was taught I could help a family member or loved one get into Heaven quicker.  I remember spending hours praying a litany of prayers for my grandfather who died when I was 10 years old.  I was under the mistaken impression my prayers could get him out of purgatory and into Heaven.

Unlike the false ideas of my youth, I understand now, only a true faith in the Living Word, Jesus Christ, will usher me into Heaven.  I know there is nothing I can do to gain for myself or anyone else, salvation.  "For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect." (1 Peter 1:18-19)  

Once I grew up and learned the truth, that Jesus' blood is my salvation, I felt relief.  Jesus I can trust, Jesus I can depend upon for faithfulness and love.  It is a more secure feeling knowing Jesus is in control of my future and my salvation, than relying on a family member to put in an occasional good word for me.
 
To read all the text for today go to Biblegateway and 1 Peter 1. To return to this posting hit the back arrow.



We welcome your comments or if you prefer you may connect with us via email here.

No comments: