Pageviews past week

Friday, April 29, 2011

John 16:1-15

I grew up Catholic, attended parochial school, and received religious instruction from the Pastors.  I loved to hear stories of the early Christians; the exciting times they had in the lions' den and hiding under ground in the catacombs.  I glamorized what life would be like as a martyr who was willing to die for Jesus.

Those stories were appealing, and as a child I believed I wanted to live life as they did.  Once I became older and wiser I began to doubt I could be strong and courageous.  I worried I would not be able to withstand torture.  I feared that I would be like Peter and deny my relationship with Jesus.

While Jesus was alive, His Disciples were safe from the hatred of the Pharisees.  After all, it was Jesus they despised and feared and it was He the Pharisees were out to destroy.  But, once Jesus was gone, the Disciples were carrying on His work by spreading the Good News.  They soon became the targets and were no longer safe.
 
"They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, the time is coming when anyone who kills you will think they are offering a service to God. They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me. I have told you this, so that when their time comes you will remember that I warned you about them." (John 16:2-4)

Jesus warned his followers this would happen.  He tried to prepare them, but He also sent the Holy Spirit to these believers.  The Holy Spirit is teacher and counselor.  He guides and protects and instructs.  All we need to do is call upon His wisdom.

Read the Scripture for today at Biblegateway.

No comments: