Pageviews past week

Thursday, June 2, 2011

John 3:16-24

This is probably the most familiar passage in the Bible, as even those not counted as Christian, have seen these words on signs at ball games and sporting events and now recognize them as from the Bible.  I find that even those passages I am so very familiar with often reveal a new truth or message when I read them.

For example, a few weeks ago these same verses were on our reading list.  When I glanced over the text I noticed a sentence I had never seen in the numerous times I have read this.  After this, Jesus and his disciples went out into the Judean countryside, where he spent some time with them, and baptized. (John 3:22)

Well, it happened again when I read the text for today I saw something brand new to me.  "Now John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim, because there was plenty of water..." (John 3:23)  Did you notice the reference to there being plenty of water?  Did you ever see those words before?  It caused me to check further and learn the word Aenon, means a place of many springs, which probably explains the statement.

The lesson for me today is to always look at the scripture with fresh eyes.  I know God often will reveal something to me today that would not have impacted me last year.  As I grow and learn and live, Scripture takes on a new life and meaning every day.  It is truly "alive and active" (Hebrews 4:12)

Read the John 3:16-24 text here.

No comments: