Pageviews past week

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Build Up Through Love - 2 John 1-13

I was walking with my dog along one of the usual routes for us when he seemed to sense danger. There was a truck parked alongside the road, half on and half off of the pavement.  I couldn't see anyone nearby, but he pulled back on the leash just the same.


Asa, my 130 pound Golden Retriever, ears perked up, would not allow me to go any further.  In fact he made an about face and began walking in the opposite direction, constantly looking over his shoulder until the truck was out of view.


"It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us. And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another. And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love." (2 John 1-13)

All of this happened as I was contemplating the scripture I was to write on today.  I was also thinking about my need to find an accountability partner now that I live so far from the woman who filled this role until now.  The way Asa stopped me from going any closer to the strange vehicle made me think about the way that woman would help me see the danger I might be walking into.  

I was reminded of my need for someone in my life who will tell me truth; someone who cares enough to speak up and stop me from hurting myself. This is real love, walking alongside someone, guiding their way and helping to light their path with truth and love.   


Read the 2 John 1-13 text here.

No comments: