Pageviews past week

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Walk in the Light - 1 John 2:1-14

"I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard. Yet I am writing you a new command; its truth is seen in him and in you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining." (1 John 2:7-8)

A few months ago I brought my rings in to a jeweler to have them repaired.  These were my wedding rings, so I had been wearing them daily for over 40 years.  When I picked them up I was astounded at their appearance.  I always loved them and thought they look good, but the rings I placed on my finger that day were dazzling. 

The jeweler had cleaned and polished them, removing the dingy, scratched surface to reveal shining golden bands that glistened in the sunlight. I can easily parallel this with how I feel now that the brilliant light of Jesus has invaded my life.  There was so much dirt and debris cluttering my life that it was difficult to see past the darkness.  Once Jesus became a focus for me, my surroundings became brighter, my outlook took on a new glow; and I no longer stumbled around in the dark.

Just as buffing my rings gave them new life, polishing my relationship with Jesus has given me new life and walking in step with Jesus keeps me out of darkness.     

Read the 1 John 2:1-14 text for today here.

No comments: