Pageviews past week

Monday, September 5, 2011

Sweet Words from God - Psalm 119:97-104

Read the Message translation of the verses for today.  It is so beautiful to pour over.  Does it make you think of anything in particular?

"Oh, how I love all you've revealed;
  I reverently ponder it all the day long.
Your commands give me an edge on my enemies;
  they never become obsolete.
I've even become smarter than my teachers
  since I've pondered and absorbed your counsel.
I've become wiser than the wise old sages
  simply by doing what you tell me.
I watch my step, avoiding the ditches and ruts of evil
  so I can spend all my time keeping your Word.
I never make detours from the route you laid out;
  you gave me such good directions.
Your words are so choice, so tasty;
  I prefer them to the best home cooking.
With your instruction, I understand life;
  that's why I hate false propaganda."

When I read through this it reminds me of the child who is now an adult and is speaking to a parent.  The conversation goes something like this.

"You have taught me so well, Dad.  I often remember your words to me when I was worried about the bully who wouldn't leave me alone at school.  Remember how you advised me to behave?  I learned so much by following through with your suggestions."

"And now, Dad, I still practice your advice and find that my current path is smoother too, I have learned to zig when I need zig,  to zag when necessary too.  Your words were so wise to my young years and I learned much about life and the right and the wrong way of doing things."

Dad responded, "I didn't do anything but give you the right book to read, the same book my father gave me when he told me to Grow Up Strong in God's Word."  

Read the text in the NIV translation here.

No comments: