Pageviews past week

Monday, September 12, 2011

Walk in the Light - 1 John 1:1-10

What do you think of lighthouses?  These proud structures are depicted in paintings, photos, poems and love stories.  A lighthouse stands as a symbol of hope; a beacon of deliverance and a portrait of safety.  Growing up in Wisconsin was a lighthouse in a popular neighborhood park.  It was located on the shores of Lake Winnebago.  I don't know if it was ever a functioning structure or if it was built as an icon of confidence in a world darkened by war.  But it was a popular landmark for residents and visitors alike.

"We write this to make our joy complete. This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all." (1John 1:4-5)

One of the many names for Jesus is Light of the World and often this visual is represented as a lighthouse with it's beacon of brightness shining on the dark world.  Sailors rely on these structures to guide them home, they search the shoreline for a glimpse of the light which offers security.  That is just what Jesus is for us; Light in a dark world.  As I get older, I need light, lots of light to feel safe and to be able to maneuver around obstacles lying in wait in the darkness.  Light helps me to enjoy each day, fills me with a feel of well-being.

As I get wiser I find Light fills my life with a sense of new security and strength and salvation.  Jesus is that Lighthouse.

Read the 1 John 1:1-10 text here.

No comments: