Pageviews past week

Monday, October 10, 2011

We all have to start somewhere - Titus 1:1-9

It is interesting to me that the Book of Titus was the first book of the Bible I ever studied.  When I attended the study for the first time, I did not know how to look up Scripture verses in the Bible and felt very awkward and even ashamed.  At the very least I was embarrassed as I stumbled through the Bible in search of the tiny little book called Titus.

You can guess that this book now has a very special place in my heart.  Do you recall where you first began your search for truth; which book was your first experience with Jesus?  About the only thing I remember about that study was that I felt good listening to others.  I knew I wanted to have the same fun they seemed to be having as they read and then discussed.

"Since an overseer manages God’s household, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8 Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined." (Titus 1:7-8)

It is curious to realize the first nine verses address the desired attributes of leadership; in church and in families.  The very qualities I was reading about for the first time was everything I longed for in my own home.  As a young adult I also craved a lifestyle wrought with integrity.  Titus might be a small book but it is a powerful tool to shape a young Christians mind.

Read the text here.  Listen to the text here.

No comments: