Pageviews past week

Monday, January 2, 2012

1 Corinthians 1:1-17

What causes an argument, a fight, a disagreement?  I am giving this some thought today as I reflect on my life, specifically my past life.  Before I invited Jesus into my life I was not a very nice person.  I did not relish confrontation, but if I thought my belligerence might keep you at a distance, I was all for it.  Thankfully, through a series of events, God changed my heart.

"I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought." (1 Corinthians 1:10)

Often, churches are a breeding ground for discontent and disruption.  Why is that?  Satan is prowling the earth like a lion looking for prey.  Churches are filled with people, people are sinners, and the evil one wants to halt our effectiveness in the world.  When we argue, gossip, chinwag and chatter, we are destroying unity, undermining the work of the church in the world.

There is a note in my Bible in the margin next to verse 10 which reads: Never have your own agenda.  Isn't that was this is all about?  Disharmony in the church is the result when we are not united, but are pursuing our own agendas.  I will be keeping this in mind this year, I pray God gives me and you the grace and wisdom to recognize when we might be seeking our own agenda and not His.

Read the 1 Corinthians 1:1-17 text for today here.   Listen to an audio reading of the text here.

No comments: