Pageviews past week

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Keep it Simple - 1 Corinthians 1:18-2:5

I have been to a few seminars where a gifted motivational speaker addressed the audience with flair and eloquence.  I went home from these events feeling like I could lick the world.  I was not only motivated but encouraged by what I heard and felt I just might be able to change myself and my circumstances.  I experienced a ‘confidence’ high and was certain life was going to be exciting and I was going to become rich and famous.

Unfortunately this was a momentary inspiration.  The lofty goals set forth by the professional speaker soon faded from memory and I found myself right back where I was and wondering why I could barely remember the speech that was going to change my life forever.  This is exactly what Paul was working to avoid.  He was an intelligent and studied man and could have wowed the crowds with his knowledge but he chose instead to keep it simple.

"And so it was with me, brothers and sisters. When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling.  My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power." (1 Corinthians 2:1-5)

Paul believed the message of the cross was a simple message and he shared his story of salvation in a humble and unassuming manner.  He shared his story with the crowds and simply stated the facts. Paul took no credit for his redemption but gave all the glory to God and pointed to Jesus as Savior.  We too, can keep it simple when trying to tell others about Jesus.  Telling our own story and showing our vulnerability is powerful testimony.  

I still enjoy hearing a good message and I love the feeling I get when someone's talk resonates with my heart, but I know it is still the simple message of the Gospel that will change my life for eternity.

Read the 1 Corinthians 1:18-2:5 text for today here.  Listen to a reading of the 1 Corinthians 1:18-2:5 here.

No comments: