Pageviews past week

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Matthew 4:18-22

When my sister and I were kids we were known in the neighborhood for the way our father called us in for supper.  He would whistle loudly and we would come running.  I always wanted to learn how to whistle like that, real loud, but never mastered that art.  But, when I would hear the shrill sound over the back yards I knew better than to tarry.

Often we would go home, but once there we would attempt to negotiate and see if we couldn't convert our reasoning into some more playing time. It usually didn't work.

"Jesus called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him." (Matthew 11:22)

The scripture today is talking about a different type of call.  Jesus is calling His disciples, not by a whistle, but by love and trust and faith.  Jesus called them and they immediately followed.  Wow, immediately they followed Him.  What does that say; what does that tell us about the character of Jesus and of the men he selected.  I have no doubt but that Jesus spent time praying over the men He was to call.

I love the word 'call' and the context it is used.  Many do not believe in being called, but if you have ever had a job you loved and felt so content, happy, equipped and satisfied you know what that is.  When you get up in the morning anticipating the joy you will experience on your job; sensing that you are exactly where God wants you to be, you my friend have been called.

Read Matthew 4:18-22 here.  Listen to Matthew 4:18-22 here.

No comments: