Pageviews past week

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

I read a very interesting article in one of the Christian magazines I subscribe to about prayer and fasting.  The subject is fascinating while scary at the same time.  The Bible calls us to pray and fast, and we have put lots of spins on what this is to look like.  I guess that is why I wrote that it is scary.  I don't want to do this wrong.  If God is pointing out the need or requirement for this practice, far be it from me to mess it up.

It sounds like I am letting my pride get in the way before I even begin. “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others." (Matthew 6:5) “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting." (Matthew 6:16)

The magazine article said fasting is a wholehearted desire to know God and to seek Him.  Spending time with God in prayer is the focus of fasting, not abstaining from food.  Isn't that what we want to do?  I know when I spend quality time with God, I feel closer to Him than when I rush through my morning quiet time.

These scriptures have reminded me of the importance of drawing near to God.  On this day, Ash Wednesday, when we are reminded that we are dust and to dust we shall return is perfect timing.

Read the Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18 text here.  Listen to Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18 here.

No comments: